This dish is easy to make and excellent food for anyone including those on a full liquid diet. As long as the pears are soft. Use it as a compote and serve with or after the meal.
Poached pears in Alsatian wine
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 6Print Recipe
- 2 lbs 14 oz (1.3 kg) pears
- 3.5 oz (100 g) sugar
- 4 slices of lemon seeds removed
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 2 inch cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 cup Alsatian wine (Riesling, Gewurztraminer)
- Peel the pears, slice in quarts and remove the bell’s house and seeds
- Cut one vanilla pod open over the length with a sharp knife and scrape out the vanilla ‘caviar’
- Place the pears in the wine with the lemon slices, the sugar, the vanilla caviar and the remaining vanilla pod and the cinnamon in a pan optionally add some water and bring to the boil
- Simmer for around 20-40 min until the pears are soft, but not broken
- Cool down and use as compote or for dessert. Store in the refrigerator for maximum a week.
Method: poaching Food allergy & intolerance information: none
- The use of some wine will keep the poaching temperature below 85 C, until most of the alcohol has evaporated. If you do not like to use the alcohol, just leave it out.
- If you cannot find the wines from the Alsace, use another white wine. Even making it with red wine is nice.