Chumaki sushi rolls consist of sushi rice with 2-3 ingredients rolled in nori seaweed. The diameter is 1 to 1.5 inch. It is not time consuming and not difficult to roll. More simple even one can make hosomaki, a sushi roll 1 inch diameter with one ingredient. For the more experienced, make thick rolls of 2-2.5 inch diameter, containing 4-5 ingredients (called futomaki).
The art of making sushi rolls
Once you have made the sushi rice, making any sushi rolls is relatively easy. And the number of variations is tremendous. So let your fantasy go at work. Combinations of vegetables and fish are quite common. But here we provide a recipe for a cucumber, tamagoyaki (Japanese egg omelette) and avocado chumaki.
In a sushi roll, the rice is wrapped in roasted, dried seaweed. Usually there is a rough side and more beautiful, shiny side. So let the rough side face the rice.
- makisu (bamboo sushi rolling mat)
Chumaki, sushi rollsServings: 8Print Recipe
Ingredients to make the chumaki
- 2 cups cooked and vinegared sushi rice
- 3 sheets nori seaweed (dimensions 7 by 9 inch)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 crispy cucumber
- 1 tamagoyaki (Japanese omelet)
- dash of (Japanese) soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp wasabi or Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp pickled ginger (gari)
Instructions to make the chumaki
- peel the cucumber and cut it in two halves over the length of the cucumber
- with a spoon remove the seeds on each halve
- Cut each halve in two and each quarter in halves again, again all over the length of the cucumber. This yields 8 long cucumber sticks
- Cut the pre-made tamagoyaki in strips of 1/5 by 1/5 inch
- Cut a ripe avocado in two halves, by moving the knife around the pit. Remove the pit. Scoop with a large spoon the flesh from the halve out and place on the board.
- Use your knife to cut 1/5 by 1/5 inch strips avocado
- Place the makusi on the board, put cling wrap on top and then the nori seaweed shiny side down, on the cling wrap, the longer side of the seaweed sheet closest to you
- Then spread a good half cup of sushi rice evenly on the sheet, such that one inch from the far (long) end of the seaweed sheet remains uncovered with rice. Use a wetted cup and use wetted fingers to handle the rice
- Then place the avocado, the tamagoyaki and the cucumber strips in lines next to each other along the long side of the covered sheet on top of the rice
- Then roll the seaweed away from you, such that the inch of uncovered seaweed remains visible. Tighten the roll before rolling through and capturing the inch of uncovered seaweed as well.
- Serve with soy sauce, wasabi or mustard and gari
NotesMethod: xxxxxxx Food allergy & intolerance information: xxxxx
- Always wet your hands before touching sushi rice. If you scoop it with a measuring cup, also wet the cup first.
- Likewise when it is time to cut the sushi roll, use a wetted, sharp knife and push the knife first before pulling it. If the sides of the roll are not so perfect, discard the outer ‘discs’.