This hearty guacamole works great with toast or serves as a dip for corn chips. It is a pretty rich appetizer: avocado contains around 20% vegetable oil and the cheese also contributes fat. But this is a very healthy and hearty appetizer. The avocado has its origin in Mexico, but is now grown in many other places. Guacamole has many formulations. In this specific recipe the spicy bite has been left out, but by all means add some chilli or other spices.
The art of making guacamole
Key to making this spread is to have a ripe avocado, yet not brown or tarnished. Dice the onion and tomato and shred the cheese. Serve immediately or store with some drops of lemon juice and plastic wrap on top in the refrigerator for a short period (1-2 h).
Guacamole with a Dutch Streak
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 small to medium peeled tomato
- 0.25 oz(6 g) diced onion
- 1.4 oz (40 g) shredded cheese (Beemster, Gouda, Parmesan)
- 1/4 tsp salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp pepper to taste
- Remove the avocado flesh from the fruit, by cutting it in halves. Remove the pit and use a spoon to easily remove the flesh. Place in a bowl
- Dice the onion and dice the peeled tomato
- Shred the cheese
- Mix all together with a fork and mesh it by hand in the bowl
- The mixture should have some consistency and not be too juicy or liquid. More tomato makes it more liquid, more cheese makes it more firmAdd salt and pepper to taste. Usually the cheese will also bring salt to the dish. Serve within 30 minutes
- Do not make this dish too much in advance (not more than 30 min) as the avocado will turn brown due to oxidation reactions.
- You can make it a few hours in advance by taking the following precautions: Store it in a bowl (not on a plate) to make the exposed surface area small; Sprinkle some lime or lemon juice over the surface and cover with plastic wrap tightly on the spread; and store it in the refrigerator. Timely take it out again, as the taste is best when consumed at room temperature.
Very tasty guacamole with the cheese in it. It makes it more firm. I used shredded Parmesan.