Celeriac is a fantastic vegetable. You can eat it raw (in salads), bake it, steam, boil or fry it. And while displaying a wonderful flavor, it also contains lots of vitamines. Celeriac is a great source of Vitamin K, C and B6. It is also a good source of phosphorous, potassium and manganese. Unfortunately the availability is not worldwide and the vegetable is most popular in eastern and north-Europe. The vegetable is harvested in autumn and can be stored over winter in a chilled, but not freezing environment. Here we steam / oven grill celeriac with mushroom and leek in a sauce also containing onion, shallot, garlic and vegetable broth so that flavors blend together.
The art of making celeriac with mushroom and leek
If you can find small enough celeriac, each of which can serve one person, this recipe not only is easy, but will present very well at the table. When you can only obtain the larger 1-2 lb celery roots, you need to count on a longer time in the oven. Apart from this, the preparation is short, easy and fail safe.
Optionally cooking cream can be added to the vegetable mixture, but this is not essential. The recipe requires the use of vegetable broth, the preparation of which can be found here or use a tablet.
- pan that also can be placed in the oven
Celeriac with mushroom and leekServings: 4 personsPrint Recipe
Ingredients to make the dish
- 4 small celeriacs
- one leek
- a small onion
- one shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 fl oz (60 ml) red wine
- 1/2 lb (220 g) mushrooms
- 1 pint (0.5 l) vegetable broth preferably self-made
- a handful roasted cashews
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/2 cup cooking cream (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Brush each celeriac clean under running water
- Cut off the root section of each celeriac in one clean cut. Discard the roots.
- pre-heat the oven to 320 F (160 C)
- Cut the onion, shallot, leek and mushrooms in slices.
- Heat up the olive oil in the pan
- Glaze the onion, shallot and garlic
- Add the leek and mushrooms and sweat the whole mixture
- Mix in the vegetable broth and optionally the cream
- Heat up until almost at boiling point
- Then place the celery roots in the broth and vegetable mixture with the cut side down
- Place the pan without a lid in the oven for 75 minutes. (Larger celeriac needs longer up to 2 h)
- Stir the sauce a few times to ensure it does not burn
- Serve with the pan on the table or make up each plate in the kitchen as you like
NotesMethod: oven-baking, oven-steaming Food allergy & intolerance information: some persons are sensitive to cellery
- The skin can be eaten, but it may become bitter in older celeriac. In that case your guests can peel it on the plate.